Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas isn't Christmas until...

It is Christmas day. I just finished some left over pasta from my dinner Christmas Eve (thanks Barth). I am now eating some banana bread (thank Martha Stewart-Peck) and sipping some hot cider (thanks Erin Bryan). I am going to see Marley and Me with some friends later. 

It's Christmas day. How are we suppose to spend Christmas? What is Christmas suppose to look like? What is the day suppose to feel like? What is Christmas?
A lot of questions, not so many answers.

It's Christmas day.
I'm at my computer because I am attempting to work on my sermon for Sunday (don't feel bad, I am doing it now so I can be free on Saturday to spend with my family). 
The fact is - I am struggling to get to the real core of what I want to say.
The sermon is about Jesus (no surprises there). 
The sermon is also about Simeon and Anna in the gospel of Luke. They didn't miss Jesus, they didn't miss Jesus' purpose. They got what Christmas was suppose to be? Do we?

It's Christmas day.
I am very aware this Christmas of the loneliness in hearts this time of year. 
I held a widow's hand recently attempting to console her as she struggled with her first Christmas without her husband after 50 something years.
I am aware of divorced parents spending this Christmas alone because it is the off holiday for custody. 
I am aware of families attempting to make the best of the day in the midst of financial struggles. 
I am just aware of the heartache in the world today.

It is Christmas day, what is it suppose to look like?
Did Jesus mean to make a one night appearance where people scurry around in preparation and the anticipation is incredibly high and then it is over?
No, I think Jesus came - Emmanuel "God with us" because of hope.
The hope of the Christmas story is to be a part of each moment all year long. 
Nativity sets are great. However, Jesus did not stay a baby.
Jesus came to bring salvation, to bring hope to a broken world. The hope is not just for today, but each day. 

It's Christmas day.

No comments: