Thursday, May 3, 2012

Late Night Musing

My frame of mind may possible be because it is late, who knows. But here it goes. I am a United Methodist pastor(I know I have said that before). However, I have not spent the last two weeks watching, listening or reading about the happenings in Tampa, FL at General Conference 2012-the UM's version of Congress. I have heard about rulings on some amendments (and expressed my opinions on some). I even watched a little debate one morning for about a half an hour. This is the first General Conference I have experienced as an appointed UM clergy. I respect the process and respect my fellow clergy who watch every moment. Yet, this is for some of you and for my laity friends who are UM nerds. Our mission statement does not read "make disciples for the transformation of the world through General Conference". The Conference closes, the 2012 Book of Discipline will go on sale, I will buy it and then I will probably make a hospital visit or maybe officiate a wedding or funeral. My point is, maybe a vote did not go the way you desired. I am sorry for the brokeness you may feel. Yet, the world is transformed for God's sake by us living out our calling to serve God each and every day. My opinion on issues are often changed through people sharing their hearts with me. By living our lives together, having our hearts break for what breaks God's heart and reaching out we begin to understand each other. Do you want to transform the world (whatever that may mean), then seek God, remember you are forgiven through Christ, know you are empowered by the Holy Spirit and love another. The world is transformed for God's sake not just on the floor of General Conference but through disciples who want to make a difference in the world in the name of Christ. So, turn off your computer, step away and go serve someone. It just might change the world.

No comments: